MOWING AND EDGING YOUR LAWNWatch our top tips
Depending on which part of the country you live in, you will experience warm weather and rainfall during Summer to some degree. This means that most lawns should have grown thick, green and lush. When the weather cools, this fast growth will slow right down, making early Autumn the perfect time to trim, edge and mow your lawn. Your last mow before Spring should be in late Autumn, before it gets too cold. Give your lawn a good water to encourage a flush of growth before your final mow of the season, which will keep your lawn looking great over winter.
Using the Grass Trimmer, start by edging along your paths, driveway or hard surfaces. The bump guard on the STIHL FSA 85 helps to protect your trees and retaining walls by maintaining a safe distance between the cutting head and the ground. It is important to make sure the head is level to avoid cutting too low or “scalping”, which can damage the grass. If the trimmer line breaks, simply tap the head on a hard surface at full throttle and the line will refill, a common feature on all STIHL Grass Trimmers.
As your lawn grows back at the at slower rate in the cooler months, it’s best to mow at a medium height to avoid creating bare patches that may not recover until Spring. Set your Lawn Mower to 50-70mm; this height will protect the roots when the temperature drops in Winter.
To make turning easier, start by doing two laps of the perimeter and then mow the rest of the lawn in straight lines. To keep your lines straight, focus on the ground around 2-3 metres ahead of the mower, rather than focusing directly on the wheels.
Your lawn clippings are full of great nutrients, so be sure to add them to your compost bin. To keep your Lawn Mower in great operating condition, give it a good clean after mowing and check the blades for any wear and tear. If they look a little dull, visit your local STIHL Dealer to get them sharpened before Spring. The RMA 443 Battery Lawn Mower has a very handy storage position, make storage of your tools during Winter nice and tidy.
In Short | Top Tips for Mowing and Edging Your Lawn in Autumn
- Late Autumn should be the last mow before Spring. Start by edging along your paths, driveways or hard surfaces.
- The clever bump guard on a number of STIHL trimmers will maintain the required clearance to protect your trees and the ground when edging.
- The cutting height is determined by the distance of the cutting head from the ground. Keep the head level to avoid cutting too low (scalping).
- If the line breaks, simply tap the head on a hard surface at full throttle and the line will re-fill, a common feature on all STIHL Grass Trimmers.
- Set your Lawn Mower to 50-70mm. This will protect the roots when the temperature drops come Winter.
- Do two laps of the perimeter, this will make turning easier, then mow the rest of the lawn in straight lines.
- For a straighter mow, focus about 2-3 meters ahead of the mower rather than directly at the wheels.
- Check the blades for wear and tear, If they look a little dull visit your local STIHL Dealer to get them sharpened ready for Spring.
- Give your mower a good clean and store during Winter.