Australia’s top STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® athletes will be chopping and sawing once again on to the St Kilda foreshore on Saturday 8th May for the 2021 Australian Trophy & Australian Women’s Championship. Read on for everything you need to know about this weekend’s event.
1. Where is the STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® Australian Trophy & Australian Women’s Championship being held?
The competition will be on the grass area directly next to the St Kilda Sea Baths across from St Kilda Beach. If you look on Google Maps, the location is marked as ‘St Kilda Festival’. For those that know the area, the closest landmarks are Stokehouse and Republica on Jacka Blvd.
2. What is the best way to GET TO the event, is there parking nearby?
As with any inner-city event, public transport is your best option, however there are also a number of parking options nearby.
- BY CAR: The closest parking to the event is at the Palais Theatre on Jacka Blvd in St Kilda which costs $12.60 per day. Also nearby, but a little more expensive, is St Kilda Sea Baths which can be located at 10-18 Jacka Blvd in St Kilda, and costs $22 per day.
- BY TRAM: The number 3 / 3a, 16 and 96 trams all run along The Esplanade in St Kilda. Get off at stop #136 which is just 50 metres from the event location.
- BY BUS: The number 606 bus stops on Jacka Blvd in St Kilda, and runs from Elsternwick train station right through to Fisherman’s Bend in Albert Park where various other trams and trains past through.
- BY TRAIN: The closest train station to the event is Balaclava station, which links to the city loop. Upon arrival at Balaclava, jump on the #16 tram and get off at stop #136 on the Esplanade. If you feel like a walk, it will take you 15-20 minute straight down Carlisle Street to get to St Kilda Foreshore.
If you’re taking public transport, click here to plan your journey.
3. How do I get a ticket to this weekend’s event?
Entry to the event is absolutely FREE! We do advise you turn up early to guarantee yourself a seat!
4. Will there be seating?
Yes! There will be bench seating directly in front of the stage for approximately 600-800 people. If you wish to bring your own camping chair for a bit more comfort, there will be an area available for you to set up camp. There will also be an area for standing and picnic blankets too. We can’t guarantee a seat for all fans, so we suggest you are early to avoid disappointment!
5. Will there be food and drinks available?
There will be a selection of Melbourne’s top food trucks alongside a licensed bar selling beer, wine, pre-mixers and soft drinks from 12pm to 10pm*. Water fountains are also available on the bay trail for you to fill up your water bottles.
*Times subject to weather.
6. Will I be able to purchase stihl timbersports® merchandise?
The Extreme Gear Merchandise stand will be selling a wide range of STIHL TIMBERSPORTS merchandise items including caps and t-shirts – even toy chainsaws! Credit or debit card payments and cash sales will be available from 12pm – 6pm.
7. What time will the action start and finish this weekend?
The gates will open at 11:30pm with first chop at 12:00pm. The full schedule as it stands is as follows:
- Date: Saturday 8th May 2021
- Location: St Kilda Foreshore (between Republica & Stokehouse)
- Parking: Available at Palais Theatre (fees apply)
- Entry: Free (but limited to one person per sqm – estimated 800-1000 people capacity)
- Gates Open: 11:30am
- Australian Trophy Time Trial: 12:00 – 13:00
- Women’s Championship: 13:00 – 14:00
- Australian Trophy: 14:30 – 17:00
8. Who is competing IN the STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® Australian Trophy?
The Australian Trophy will feature 14 of the highest-ranking STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® athletes from around the country, who will go head-to-head in a series of knockout match-ups.
Your 2021 Australian Trophy athletes are:
- Laurence O’Toole (Watsonia, VIC)
- Brad De Losa (Lithgow, NSW)
- Mitch Argent (Blackbutt, QLD)
- Brayden Meyer (Broadford, VIC)
- Jamie Head (Redcliffe, QLD)
- Glen Gillam (Toongabbie, VIC)
- Kody Steers (Sheffield, TAS)
- Daniel Gurr (Deloraine, TAS)
- David Reumer (Mittagong, NSW)
- Chris Owen (Grafton, NSW)
- Jake Dingle (Mundubbera, QLD)
- Josh Bakes (Sheffield, TAS)
- Brodie Dingle (Eidsvold, QLD)
- Blake Meyer (Romsey, VIC)
9. Who is competing at the STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® Australian Women’s Championship?
The Australian Women’s Championship will feature 6 of the highest-ranking STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® athletes from around the country, who will go head-to-head in a series of knockout match-ups.
Your 2021 Australian Women’s Championship athletes are:
- Amanda Beams (Winkleigh, TAS)
- Jodie Beutel (Crows Nest, QLD)
- Renee Retschlag (Kilcoy, QLD)
- Katrina Head (Burpengary East, QLD)
- Adele Deverell (Kilmore, VIC)
- Kris Brown (Buninyong, TAS)
10. Can I bring my dog to the event?
If your dog doesn’t mind chainsaws and loud music, then they are more than welcome to bring them to the event. We do ask you keep them on a lead and be mindful of other fans during the event.
11. Will I be able to get autographs from the athletes?
Yes, you can! Our athletes will be more than willing to sign any merchandise or autographs. The best time to get autographs will be at between 12:00 and 12:30pm out the front of the main stage and after the ceremony at approximately 5:30pm.
12. What wood do they chop at the STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® Australian Trophy & Australian Women’s Championship?
For the Australian Trophy, all sawing wood will be Hoop Pine from Blackbutt in Queensland, and for chopping, the wood will be Poplar from the Blue Mountains region. Both plantations are re-growth forests that have a forestry management plan. All chopped wood will be processed and used for mulch.
13. How does the event work?
In each match-up, athletes will have to complete four disciplines back-to-back: Stock Saw, Underhand Chop, Single Buck and the Standing Block Chop. The fastest athlete from each match-up will progress to the next round, culminating in a grand final between the last two remaining competitors.
If you have any questions about this weekend’s event, don’t hesitate to send us a message on the STIHL TIMBERSPORTS® Facebook page.